Team Gurren Pizza Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Team Gurren Pizza Club

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pizza Club Book Club

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FlyingStewardess

FlyingStewardess

Pizza Club Book Club Empty
PostSubject: Pizza Club Book Club   Pizza Club Book Club EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Put your book recommendations here!
Back to top Go down
FlyingStewardess

FlyingStewardess

PostSubject: Re: Pizza Club Book Club   Pizza Club Book Club EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 1:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I recently read a very fascinating book about Shackleton. He is the guy who attempted to get to the South Pole first - by walking and pony. Yes, ponies (he later switched to sled dogs). It didn't happen, but what followed was a year-long quest for survival, marooned on their expedition when their ship, the Endurance, was trapped in the icy sea for 5 months, then destroyed by the ice and sunk. They literally had to CAMP on the ice (which is just frozen sea) for the next 5 months, then when the ice began to melt right under their feet they hatched a plan to row the 3 lifeboats from the ship 800 miles north to the nearest inhabited islands. After miles of walking through freezing temperatures, nearly starving, drowning and freezing to death, he made it back to civilization - and he didn't lose a man in a party of about 30! Wow!
The book is Shackleton: The Antarctic Challenge by Kim Heacox.
Back to top Go down
Cadet

Cadet

PostSubject: Re: Pizza Club Book Club   Pizza Club Book Club EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 5:48 pm

Hyperion. I will be lazy and just link to my already written review of it:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://TKBearCrew.com
Targo
Admin
Targo

PostSubject: Re: Pizza Club Book Club   Pizza Club Book Club EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:05 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Agony and the Ecstasy. Does the title make it sound like one of those cheap paperback romance novels that my grandma reads? Yes. But its actually a historic-novel about the life of one of the greatest minds of all time, Michelangelo. It was written in 1961, they've based a movie on it (which I don't want to see). It is extremely well written, and most importantly (to a history nerd like me at least) it is very accurate. The author, Irving Stone, spent years in Italy studying Michelangelo's life, visiting the locations featured in the book, and even apprenticed himself as a marble sculptor so that the book could be as accurate as possible. Its a really great read.
Back to top Go down
https://pizzaclub.forumotion.net
Targo
Admin
Targo

PostSubject: Re: Pizza Club Book Club   Pizza Club Book Club EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 am

Cadet wrote:
Hyperion. I will be lazy and just link to my already written review of it:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That sounds like something I would really like. I might have to pick it up sometime, but I've already got so many books lined up. Right now I'm reading The Divine Comedy for the first time, its excellent, but it is taking forever to read because I keep getting distracted researching all the people mentioned throughout it. Dante does a lot of name dropping.
Back to top Go down
Targo
Admin
Targo

PostSubject: Re: Pizza Club Book Club   Pizza Club Book Club EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:54 pm

A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Just finished the second book, good Lord these books are amazing. I was pretty burnt out on Fantasy, but this is different. I suggest everyone read this series. The first book is A Game of Thrones btw. Also HBO has a live-action series coming out based on the books, the author himself (George R.R. Martin) is producing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pizza Club Book Club   Pizza Club Book Club Empty

Back to top Go down

Pizza Club Book Club
Page 1 of 1